Skip to main content

what I would do today if the world ends tomorow?

Mother Earth has existed for around 4.5 billion years, nurturing generations and generations of people. But what if the world is speculated that it would end tomorow? Climate change and global warming have plagued our environment, making Mother Earth sicker and sicker each day. A reflective question comes to my mind: If this were to be my last day on earth, how would I choose to spend those final golden hours?



If the world were ending, one thing I would do is to adopt a dog-- specifically a Chow Chow. Since childhood, my deepest desire has been to own this particular breed. However, my mother's irrational dislike for dogs prevented this dream from materializing. This may seem trivial when compared to a grand bucket list which others may choose to pursue, but personally, getting a dog means that I have fulfilled my deepest childhood desire, and fulfilled something that I used to pray over every night.


The distinctive lion- like mane and sturdy yet fluffy body of the Chow Chow has always attracted me. Their unique looks and their loyal and reserved temperament puts them above other dog breeds in my opinion. Chow Chows possess qualities that resonate highly with me, making them the ideal dog type for me. I envision myself  naming this dog tigger, after my childhood plush toy where we would go on the last morning walk together. I also envision the warm and fuzzy joy that this dog would bring me during Earth's final hours.

In the face of impending doom, all the usual constraints would fall away. My mother's disapproval would no longer matter. Housing restrictions, work schedules, and long-term commitments would become irrelevant concerns. The apocalypse would grant me the freedom to finally experience what I've always wanted: the unconditional love of a dog. 

With Tigger by my side, I would also choose to visit natual spots to seek solace and peace amidst times of panic. Personally, If the world were to end, rather than succumbing to fear, I would accept my fate and plan rationally how I would make use of the rest of my time efficiently. 

Tigger and I would hike to the top of the hills to meditate and reflect on my past experiences. Being surrounded by serene natural landscapes, I would not only look back fondly at the ups and downs in my life that shape me to be the person I am today but also gain a deeper appreciation for the people that have been in my life. Moreover, being in nature allows me to clear my mind and find spiritual peace, which is essential to effcetively reflect meaningfully. 

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks"~William Wordsworth

This quote by William Wordsworth, an English poet during the 1800s truly encapsulates the importance of nature in times of uncertainty as nature allows one to find peace and comfort amidst chaos. 

The afternoon of our final day would find me at the local hawker centers absorbing the bustling atmosphere one last time. Watching the elderly friends gathered around the tables sharing drinks and stories each other -- a bittersweet scene knowing that such display of community camaraderie would never be seen ever again. The sole place we call 'our home' will disappear from the face of the earth. Taking in the aromatic smell of local delights like Chicken Rice, Nasi Lemak or Fried Carrot Cake brings back the feelings of nostalgia as I look back into my past. These dishes represents more than just food: they represents someone's culture, someone's livelihood and someone's childhood. These dishes hold many fond memories and each bite I take would be savoured with the knowledge that it would be the last time I would experience these explosion of flavours

As the evening draws near, I would start to ponder:
Why? Why must the world end today?
Why must it all come crashing down now, when there’s still so much left unsaid, undone, unlived?
Why is it so cruel—so deeply, impossibly unfair?
Children born just yesterday…
They were given a breath—just one—of fresh air, of life,
Only to have it ripped away before they even knew what it meant to be alive.
Is the happy ending just a facade in our world of chaos and destruction?

these questions wouldaccompany me as I gaze at the stars in the night sky. The stars glisten brightly in the sky, symbolizing our undying hope amidst dark times. It symbolizes the persistent hope to live continues to fight even when we know it is helpless.  

I would end the night with a heartfelt reunion with my family. We would share fond memories of each other and simply be in the moment. 

As night deepened and exhaustion settled in, I would retreat back to my bed with Tigger by my side.  As I close my wary eyes, Tigger would be lying next to me. His presence would bring my joy and sadness, knowing that I will never wake up from this sleep to see my parents ever again, never to enjoy another day with Tigger and never to enjoy another sun rise. 

While reflecting back on Earth's hypothetical final day, I learnt the importance of treasuring every minute as we will never know when our own impending doom will be. The body clock continues its steady countdown whether we acknowledge it or not, teaching us to be present in the moment and embrace every opportunity we have. While tomorrow isn't actually Earth's final day, approaching life with this perspective might help us live more authentically and meaningfully today. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discuss the trade-offs between individual liberties, state discipline, and societal order as detailed in From Third World to First by Mr Lee Kuan Yew.

  Discuss the trade-offs between individual liberties, state discipline, and societal order as detailed in From Third World to First by Mr Lee Kuan Yew. Singapore’s rapid modernisation and industrialisation are closely associated with the political leadership of Mr Lee Kuan Yew and the People’s Action Party. In the realm of economics, every choice we make has a trade-off. However, as Lee's From Third World to First demonstrates, this transformation involved significant trade-offs between individual autonomy, state discipline and societal order. Measures such as compulsory National Service, economic restructuring and restrictions on the media illustrate how the Singapore state prioritised collective security, economic development and social stability, sometimes at the expense of individual freedoms. Even Singapore political leaders had to make significant trade-offs in the process of building Singapore. Mr Lee Kuan Yew acknowledged these sacrifices when he once said, “At the end o...

Public policy involves balancing competing priorities rather than pursuing a single objective. Discuss

  Public policy involves balancing competing priorities rather than pursuing a single objective. Discuss  Good governance is founded on the principle that a country should be governed for its people and with their interests at the heart of decision-making. Thus, good public policy is considered to be the foundation needed to build a strong and stable country. The public policies designed by the government are tailored to the nation’s needs, thus, when we compare policies across time and space, the policy in that area is defined by that region's societal norms, beliefs and culture. Similarly, the fluidity of Public policy is noted through the changes made in public policy through the test of time. Policies change according to the nation’s needs and objectives of that time preiod, thus, in order to achieve a specific goal, the government will change the policies accordingly.  In any society, the government is responsible for addressing a wide range of needs and interests of...

Is it always right to challenge injustice?

 In the imperfect world that we live in, it is not uncommon for us to experience injustice in our society. Culture, upbringing and morals ultimately shape a person’s view of life, and this can result in people developing prejudices against different groups based on race, gender and other characteristics. For us to positively progress as a nation, it is necessary for us to challenge injustice, since remaining silent in the face of wrongdoing can be seen as a form of consent. However, whether we should always contest injustice depends highly on the context of the injustice. In certain situations, voicing opposition against injustice may not be the best solution, as the consequences of rebellion could be far greater than the benefits gained. Similarly, the idea of injustice is highly multifaceted and complex in our society. It is unwise to advocate rebellion against every perceived injustice, as differing interpretations of injustice among stakeholders can intensify social tensions an...